All the doors to your home can be opened during the warmer months, and you will not get flies as long as there are fly strips for doors. This review will focus on the top mesh screens for doors and windows. A review of the best metal chain-link fly curtains is also included. We review each door or window screen and give our opinion. This Buyer’s Guide demonstrates how simple it is to install these sun-saving screens. We also provide step-by-step instructions.
Window Fly Screen – Best Choice
NeatiEase Adjustable DIY Magnetic Fly Screen uses strong, durable grey mesh nets. It is tear-resistant, mildew resistant, fire retardant and can be fitted to your window frames using a magnetic strip. You will need metal frames for this screen to work. A roll of flexible plastic tape is included to add a border around your mesh. You have the option of choosing from three sizes of screens. However, you might need to reduce a smaller size. You can clean the fly screen with a damp cloth, or gently vacuum it. If you place the screen outside, this may be necessary more often. This window fly screen is strong and simple to install.
Best Choice – Door Fly Screen
Although the MYCARBON Fly Screen Door might look similar to all the other doors/curtains we reviewed, it has some unique features. It measures 210cm in length, which allows for some flexibility when it is placed over a standard door. The black mesh is made from Dracon polyester, which is tear-resistant. It also comes with black vertical stripes. There are ten sizes available, ranging from narrow to wide to fit most standard doors. Strong magnets in the center seams of both curtain sides will snap together magnetically when they are apart. This will allow you to close the curtain once someone has passed through it. There are thousands of positive online reviews about the MYCARBON Flyscreen Door from satisfied customers.
1. NeatiEase DIY Magnetic Flyscreen Window, 100cm x130cm
NeatiEase Adjustable DIY Magnet Fly Screen is suitable for standard windows. The grey fibreglass mess made of grey fibreglass is light-resistant and fire retardant. The fly screen can be used on metal frames. It comes with a strong magnetic strip and a flexible plastic strip for the border.
NeatiEase has three sizes available. If you can’t find the screen size you require, you might consider purchasing a larger size and then cutting it yourself. The screen can be used on both the outside and inside of your window frames (inside the room). The mesh is easy to clean – you can either vacuum it weekly or wipe it with a damp cloth to remove everyday dust. After you have taken down the screen, rinse it in the sink. Before you store the screen for winter, let it air dry completely.
- Window screen made from fire-resistant fibreglass mesh in grey.
- One piece of the ordered size mesh plus magnetic strip, plastic strips and accessories.
- Use indoors and outdoors.
- The screen can be washed daily or seasonally and is easily replaced.
- Attaches to all types and widths window frames
- Magnetic strip extra strong
- Warranty valid for one year
- Available in three sizes: 100cm x 110cm (but the price seems incorrect as of Oct 2021); 100cm x 130cm; and 130cm x 150cm.
- Mesh doesn’t always stick well with plastic strip.
Our Top Pick for Fly Screens For Windows is the NeatiEase DIY Magnetic Fly Screen. Although it’s well-reviewed, we couldn’t find any other fly screens that were as good for windows. The magnetic strip is stronger and can be used around windows as it fits into narrow frames up to 1.25cm. It is easy to remove the frame from this screen to open or close your window.
2. MOEGFY Windowscreen Mosquito Netting, 3 Pack 130cm x150cm each
The MOEGFY Window Screen MosquitoNetting, 3 Pack is an excellent choice if you need a fly screen to protect a window of any shape or size. Three white net screens measuring 130cm x 150cm each are included along with three rolls of self adhesive hook-and loop tape for attaching your screens.
It is as easy as rolling the sticky tape around your window frame and covering it with mesh. Then, press the tape down to secure the mesh. Finally, cut the mesh to fit the shape and size of the window. If the window has a regular shape, you can cut the screen to the size and shape that you prefer. No matter which method you use, it is important to take your time when cutting the mesh. Online reviewers have reported that it can be stretchy and difficult to cut cleanly.
Because the tape sticks better in these conditions, the seller suggests that you place this fly screen on a dry and low-humidity day. To give the adhesive time to dry completely, close the window for at least 24 hours after you have installed the screen.
Most insects and flies won’t find their way into your home if there is a smaller opening than 1.3mm in the mesh grid. Dust and dead flies can be removed from the mesh by wiping it with a damp cloth.
- Three white mesh nets are included in this DIY window fly screen, along with installation tape.
- Easy to clean daily, or more thorough in spring.
- Attach the tape (included), to the window frame.
- This product is suitable for all types and sizes of windows and frames.
- Mesh net can be easily cut to fit windows of any size or shape.
- Mesh grid opening is less that 1.3mm
- Each screen is large enough to cover a door.
- Dimensions: 130cm x 150cm, 150cm x 180cm. You will also receive two nets of this size.
- Tape is not sticky.
- It is difficult to cut cleanly.
The MOEGFY Window Screen MosquitoNetting, 3 Pack is very easy to put in, even if you are not a DIY-focused person. This is a great option for windows with unusual shapes or sizes. To achieve a neat finish, you just need to slow cut the mesh. You can keep all but the smallest flies out of the mesh by using the small openings. The mesh screens are large enough to be used over a single door. We like the fact that magnetic closures are located almost throughout the centre seam.
3. MYCARBON Fly Screen Door 90 x 220cm
MYCARBON Fly Screen Door is 90cm by 220cm and fits over any standard single door. You can also raise the curtain slightly above the door frame, if desired. This black mesh fly screen is made from durable 55g/? It’s made from durable 55 g/? Dacron polyester fabric, which is also tear-resistant. This curtain is actually made up of two pieces and closes down at the center seam. The seam is held together by magnets that keep bugs out.
This curtain is magnetically attracted enough to close automatically when someone walks through it. The magnets have enough strength to allow you to pass through the curtain without needing to separate the sides.
This mesh fly curtain can be installed in minutes. The Velcro tape included in the package is used to wrap the door frame. Even the smallest black fly will have trouble finding a way in because the mesh holes are less that 1mm wide.
You don’t have to worry about if your door isn’t the standard size. The MYCARBON Fly Screen Door comes in ten sizes. There’s even an easy chart on the sales page to help you choose the right size screen for you doors.
You can also choose the same screen, but with squares of mesh instead of stripes. However, this is only available in a small range of sizes.
- Magnetic closures are available on the centre of this black mesh fly screen.
- Mesh made from 55 g/? Dacron fabric.
- The mesh has thicker black stripes that make it easier to see when people approach it.
- To automatically close and maintain the curtain, use magnet strips (14) and magnets (6), in the centre seams.
- Strong magnets that close the screen automatically when someone passes through it.
- Use the included Velcro to attach the screen to your door frame.
- Use this handy chart from the sales site to determine what size screen you require.
- Dimensions: Available in ten sizes, from 70cm x 200cm up to 120cm x 240cm.
- No tie backs included.
Our top pick for fly screens for doors is the MYCARBON fly screen door The mesh fabric is strong and durable and has small openings. To make it easier for people to see the curtain, the mesh is woven with darker black stripes every now and again. Depending on the lighting conditions, the mesh might not be visible. There are 11 sizes to choose from so that even narrow doors or double doors can be screen.
4. Apalus Magnetic Screen Doors, 90 x200cm
Apalus Magnetic Screen Door 90x200cm is similar to our Best Pick – Door Fly Screen. It also boasts a large number of positive online reviews. This black mesh curtain is made in two pieces and has 26 magnets at the center seam. The fly curtain has two tie backs that can be used to attach it to the side of the door opening.
The usual procedure is to attach the Velcro strip 2cm across the door frame. Use the included nails to attach the tape to an uneven door frame. Simply press the Velcro strips along the sides and top of your curtain onto the tape.
For safety and visual interest, the Apalus Magnetic Screen Door features black vertical stripes. It is easy to clean. You can wash it in the washer at 30°C.
According to the manufacturer, this screen door is not compatible with metal doors frames. The magnets in this curtain might be strong enough to stick well to the frame. You have eight options for these door screens, from narrow doors to double doors.
- Black mesh fly curtain with border and vertical lines for safety and visual interest.
- 26 magnets are used in the curtain’s centre seams to seal it and keep it closed after someone passes through.
- To hook the fly curtains out of the way from the door frame, there are two tie backs.
- Fly curtain can be machine washed at 30 degrees C.
- For a quick and easy installation, no tools are required
- There are eight sizes to choose from, ranging in size from 80cm x 200cm up to 140cm x 240cm.
- It won’t work if you have a metal door frame.
- Magnets are known to misalign and repel one another, rather than attract and close the curtains.
There aren’t many options between the Apalus Magnetic Screen Door or our Best Pick – Door Screen (the MYCARBON fly screen door). Other than the weight of this mesh and whether your metal door frame is available, there are not many to choose from. The tie backs and the ability to wash the screen in your washing machine are a bonus. Online reviews have indicated that the magnets of the Apaplus flyscreen can sometimes misalign and turn in the seams. However, this is easily fixed by turning them back.
5. EXTSUD Magnetic Flyscreen Door, 90cmx210cm
At first glance, the EXTSUD Magnetic Fly Screen door looks similar to our other reviewers. To improve structure and visibility, the polyester black mesh curtain features vertical black stripes. The curtain’s top is decorated with lace. Take a closer look at the sales photo. This is a design element that can be added to your decor, whether you like it or not.
The curtain is closed behind you by magnetic strips and tabs (7 pairs, 6 pairs each) at the seams. Some online reviewers feel that the magnets are too far apart and leave enough space for insects to get in through the curtain seam.
As usual, you will need to cover your door frame with Velcro tape, then attach the Velcro loops on either side of the screen curtain. Online reports indicate that sometimes the adhesive backing of the hook-and loop part of the tape can come off. Be sure to inspect your curtain periodically for any such flaws.
There are seven sizes available, from one that fits narrow doors to one that fits double doors. You can also choose the same fly screen in white, but with smaller sizes.
- For safety visibility, black mesh fly curtain with standard vertical stripes in black.
- Curtain made from tightly woven polyester fiber.
- Magnetic closure at the center seam; six pairs magnetic strips and seven magnetic pieces.
- After someone walks through the curtain, it automatically closes.
- Use the included Velcro to attach to your door frame, or use the (included), thumb tacks.
- Dimensions: Seven sizes available, ranging from 80cm x 200cm to 140cm x 240cm.
- Gaps between magnets at the centre opening.
- Velcro hooks/loops are removed from their base.
- A thick lace band runs across the curtain’s top (but it may be a Pro for some).